Monday, December 19, 2011

Just So Sad............

"Lately, the world felt fragile, like a blown egg, as if it might shatter beneath a careless touch".
Kim Edwards-"The Memory Keeper's Daughter".


I visited a friend's blog today and she had used this quote.....it resonated with me.....it expressed exactly the way I have been feeling the last couple of days.


Most of you lovely friends who visit me here have young children; you know where they are and what they are doing, you keep them safe and tuck them in to their beds at home, every night. But children grow up...they become young adults, have a life of their own and live independently as do my 2 daughters who are 22 and 24 ( but they will always be my babies and I will do every thing possible to  protect them and make them happy )When something unforeseen  happens to cause them pain, it is heartbreaking to see.
       Last week, my youngest daughter learnt of the sudden, tragic death of her close friend who was, at the time, on holiday overseas. My daughter of course was shocked and inconsolable  and as her mother it has been difficult to watch her become consumed by confused disbelief and immense sorrow. When you are 22 life is fun, life is good and you have every thing to look forward to........this sort of thing should never happen.
       My heart break tho is nothing compared to that of this young girls mother. I can not even begin to imagine what it must be like to bring your dead daughter home to bury 2 days before Christmas.
       I was not going to blog about this event, what's the point, it changes nothing, and, this is the season of joy and hope and I don't want to bring down the mood. I guess what I am expressing is that because of the randomness of life, never take anything for granted, hold close those that you love and tell them often, never waste a day and always try to make it a good one and cherish and appreciate the years that your children are at home, safe and protected in your care.
       I'm sorry for the sad post, but I know dear friends you'll understand.

14 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to the young woman's family and for your daughters loss of a close friend. It's stories like these that remind us just how precious life is. Thanks for sharing and reminding us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.. your words have reduced me to tears.. as a mum my heart too goes out to this mother who will forever dread Christmas for the memory it will bring to her..and as a mum who has a daughter overseas at the moment in England your words have me utter another prayer for the safety of my 'baby' OS.. and sharing this is ok.. we need to get beside others who are finding life tough at the moment and support them.. even from a distance in prayer.. only God knows how she will get through this.. and as i type this my MIL is having surgery for cancer in her uterus.. so i need no further reminder about the randomness of life and my only strength comes from my faith in God and trying to leave it all in His Hands...i do pray you all will just be together and support each other, and take one day at a time... and may the Christ of Christmas reveal to you His love and hope at this time... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. so terribly sad and painful for the family of the young woman, they have a long journey ahead ... as a bereaved parent myself ( my son Mark was 22 also ) ... time does not really heal but I have learned to accept my son's death and I honour him by living my life to the best of my ability .... the wonderful memories of him are so precious to hold on to ... the death of a child is not something I would wish on anybody ... I am stronger and more compassionate now and learning to live in the moment ... our children are only on loan to us .... we are blessed to have had Mark in our lives .... hugz to you Gayle xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your very sad news,, it is never easy when we hear about these sad moments in our lives..... I will pray for you and your family at this most troubled times.... time will heal... but you never forget them... they will always be in your hearts forever.. Love to you XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that is just so sad, I hope your daughter is ok, what a terrible tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Gayle...your blog post was so touching I could not leave without saying I am so sorry to hear of daughters friends tragedy. It is so hard to see someone you love hurting. I haven't experienced anything like this yet, but I do have a sister who has lost everything and there is not a day goes by that my heart does not break for her. Thinking of you at this time. Thanks for sharing HUGS xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sweet friend, I know how you feel. It is so hard to see our children go through pain.. My daughter who is 24 is moving, She packed up her house two days ago and now she is gone.. She lived 4 houses down from me.. Know she lives 1000 miles away. She could not stop crying when she left.. Which made me cry. I still have my grandson here. But will be flying him to Oregon tomorrow.. But I have to let them go.. As much as it hurt right now..

    I know this is not as sad as someone passing. And I will say a prayer for you and your daughter..

    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for the reminder to live life to the fullest

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear this sad news. Very good advice to hold those you love close and tell them often - thank you for that reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. for me my blog is a kind of journal...when things are going well it's about creating...but sometimes life looms so large...well you know

    my heart aches for your daughter having to face death at such an early age and lose a dear friend in a season when our hearts are even more tender than most times

    our son was ten when he lost his big brother ...I still remember the moments on an icy January day when I knew that what I had to tell him would change his life forever ... our Alex was gone

    thank you for being real dear Gayle
    if only a parent never had to bury a child
    it leaves a hole so deep
    BIG hugs to you and yours
    may you find Peace and Light and Love
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Gayle, I am so sorry to hear this. Such a difficult time and as a mother, I just want to hold my children all the more tightly. Thinking of you, take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to read this sad news. My heart goes out to the young woman's family.
    Peaceful Christmas and healthy New Year to you and yours. May all of your dreams come true for 2012!

    Sending big hugs across the miles!
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  13. Though this is a sad story, I appreciate your sharing, it's a good reminder to cherish the moments with those we love.

    Well, merry blessed Christmas to you and a joyous New Year ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The most heartbreaking news one could ever receive. Many hugs to you and your daughter and to the family who are feeling such a loss. Happy posts and sad posts are all a part of what this community is about...we are all here to share 'life' with each other :)
    I hope you can show love and gratitude by bringing some comfort to all in this difficult time....by just being there for comfort.
    Blessings to everyone.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving your comment....always read and much appreciated.