Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Mixed Media Place.....A "Try-out Practice Journal"

Way back in November of 2010 I took this photo of my art journal. I didn't call it an art journal then, it was just called my "left overs book", and it was filled with anything I felt like playing with at the time..... stamps, inks, left over bits of pretty paper, pieces of ephemera. I didn't write in it; it was just a place to "explore creative processes".
I've made, but never filled, a few Art Journals since, but the one I love working in most is the one that sits next to me every time I create a specific page , canvas or DT project. I call it my "try out-practice" journal. If I'm not sure of a colour of ink, paint or mist or the texture of a medium like gel, texture paste or molding paste, I'll give it a little try in this journal first. If it looks wrong or doesn't give the effect I am looking for, no problem, I haven't messed up my page........yep, I do like to have 'some' control over my work, even tho I embrace 'random' and 'accident' as well. So different bits of medium and colours get added to this journal page as I concentrate on my main project.
 When the main project is done, I'll go back and have a look at what's on my practice page in the journal. Sometimes it's just a mess; but often what's there can inspire an idea, and this is what I love about it....something that you have made without any conscious thought or plan can excite, motivate and inspire you, and you go on this happy, creative journey that you never planned on. I know that sounds kind of 'wanky' but for me, it's just fun, and freedom with no pressure or expectation.
Of course this is not an original idea of mine....Donna Downey is a master of this with her amazing "collage journals".
So, instead of trying out different ideas and media on scraps of paper that you then throw away, do it in a journal.....you never know what that "practice" page will inspire in you.
This crazy page of the witch and a tea bag came about by way of a project I did for Finnabair.

I was very unsure about the colour mists and stencils I was going to use for this page, so I had a little practice in the journal first. Also I was not sure about how the tea bag and beads would look so, again, the journal became my handy testing ground. 

You know the other great thing about a "try out practice journal" ? It totally eliminates the intimidating "where do I start" horror of a blank white page.....with out really knowing it, with freedom and abandon you have already started your page. Let it guide you and take you where it will...relax, enjoy the ride. Make it as fun or as serious as you want, it's your journal....express yourself.
Make yourself a brew, play with your mixed media, let your imagination fly loose and make some art.

If you are still hesitant about making a start in a journal or on a page, check out Finnabair's blog HERE where some of the Creative Team give their tips on "where to start".
As always, thanks for visiting and have a creative week.
post signature


6 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Absolutely no pressure to be profound or deep ... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous and very inspirational! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea.. off to have a look at the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun just to CREATE and PLAY with nothing in mind!!! This pages makes me smile - so free, fun. Those tea cups are lovely and the tea bags... unique!! Thanks bunches for sharing these. j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful inspiration Gayle, we have all had those moments...I used to be terrified of white cardstock but now and then I try and it usually works out great :) I really love the tea cup and the tea bag, such fun! Great tips for trying out a journal too...xo

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving your comment....always read and much appreciated.